Barbie - I Can Be A Computer Engineer





Magazine Details

Category: Children
Number of Pages: 15
Language: English
Age Range: 6 - 12



About the Magazine

Barbie I Can Be Computer Engineer: Girls can play out the role of computer engineer plus have access to additional online content that allows girls to further try on the roles. Code inside each package unlocks career-themed content online. Includes doll, laptop computer and cell phone.


Review

I am a PhD student in a computing department, so I guess it’s not surprising that my social media feeds have been full of outrage over Barbie’s “computer engineering” skills. The blog post that originally went viral appears to be sporadically down due to heavy traffic, but The Daily Dot also has a good summary of the problematic book titled Barbie: I Can Be a Computer Engineer. The problematic part is that, as far as I can tell, the steps for becoming a computer engineer if you’re Barbie are:

    Design a videogame.
    Get a boy to code it for you.
    Accidentally infect your computer with a virus.
    Get a boy to fix it for you.
    Take all the credit for these things yourself.

And the problem isn’t even that Barbie isn’t a “real” computer scientist because she isn’t coding. (I am one of those mostly-non-coding computer scientists myself, though now I’m tempted to make a game about robot puppies shooting lasers anyway.) The problem is the assumption that she is a designer, not a coder, and the coders are boys. (There are also problems with nonsense explanations for computer viruses, taking credit for other people’s work, and inexplicable pillow fights.)